11 May 2009

What's Your Prime Motivation?

About an hour from now I'll be speaking with my coach -- yes! coaches have coaches!! -- and she's going to ask me two critical questions:

~ Why do I want to accomplish my goals?
~ What's in the way?

Like many coachees, I want to just plunge right in to action. I don't want to waste time analyzing motivations, and pondering insights, and wander around inside my head until I make a discovery. No. I want to design an action plan and get going.

She's right, though to encourage me to take a breath, and a step back, and make sure that my actions are directly connected to my motivations. Otherwise, how can I possibly know whether I'm working on the right goals. How would I even recognize what the immovable obstacles are, or find the doorways to go through them?

Creative Alternatives Coaching sounds like it's all about action, and much of the time it is. But before action can be productive, we just might need to apply a little creative alternatives effort to the thinking process as well.

So today's coaching questions for you, dear reader, are:

1. What do you really really want in your life right now?
2. What is your prime motivator for wanting that?
3. From your current point of view, what is in the way of having it?
4. And go deeper -- what thought or belief or emotion is in the way of removing the obstacle?

No comments: