31 July 2009

What Are You Waiting For?

I've begun to think that the old adage that patience is a virtue may be an outmoded relic of the past. It needs examining, if, as I suspect, the character trait of patience becomes the behavior of waiting too long to make change or manifest your dreams.

Much of so-called patience is just procrastination. And procrastination is a form of self-sabotage.

Patience can be sneaky. It sounds good to say we are waiting for right timing, or more resources, or for someone else to respond or take an action. A particularly deceptive form of sabotaging patience is in the idea that things are in motion and we are letting them play out.

Oh, I admit that all of those things may be true and valid in and of themselves. And what I see in many of my coaching clients is that this mindset can also be the mantra of excuses-making for staying too long in a comfort zone when there is an underlying commitment to be risk-avoidant.

If you believe yourself to be a patient person, if you take pride in that, it may well be an admirable virtue in your character. And nonetheless, I encourage you to ask yourself these powerful self-reflective questions, and see if you uncover a saboteur you didn't realize was lurking in you.
  • Today, what am I waiting for? Is there really no forward movement I can take?
  • Is what I'm waiting for contributing to a delay in making progress on other goals?
  • What am I feeling while in this waiting state?
  • What could I be doing on this or other projects that might move me forward differently, or faster?
  • What risk am I avoiding by this waiting? Is that really a good idea, or is it hurting my success?
  • If today's waiting is really productive, what else can I start or work on or finish in the meantime?
  • What alternatives to waiting would be best for me right now, or best for my long term goals?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Sherry Valentine said...

Loved this post. Upbeat and right on!